Saturday, March 6, 2010

the food situation...

I thought I would post a list of ingredients I can get here and see if anyone can help me with recipes.

Generally I make tomato sauce with pasta and cheese, vegetable stir fry with masala or curry and rice, mashed potatoes, salt & vinegar fried potatoes, grilled cheese, vegetable omelets, or rice and beans. I think I'm going to attempt to make chicken flavored soup, bean soup, & possibly corn cakes, but I'm not very creative, so give me ideas! Mostly the problem is that I don't have a refrigerator, an oven, or a microwave. Basically, we have two electric burners so I can boil or fry things.

There really isn't a lot of variety. This is what I can find at the market/in town:

carrots
tomatoes
potatoes
onions
peppers
green beans
peas
eggplant
squash
cabbage
avocado
cucumber
cauliflower
unsweetened corn
beans (mixed types. They just throw everything together.)

bananas
plantains
passion fruit
star fruit (or a fruit that looks like star fruit. We don't know what it's called. haha)
oranges
limes
lemons
mangoes

bread (french/sliced white/chapati (fried tortillas))
pasta (spaghetti, spiral, elbow)
white rice
salted/buttered crackers

eggs
salted butter
cheese (gouda- the only kind they really sell. It's also expensive.)
powdered milk
vegetable/soybean oil (I can get olive oil too, but it's very expensive)
corn/wheat flour
oatmeal

synthetic vinegar
garlic
coriander
cyanne pepper
salt
black pepper
cumin
Tiki Masala seasoning
Italian seasoning
Curry seasoning
hot sauce
salt & vinegar seasoning
chicken or beef bouillon
raw sugar
cinnamon

I can buy meat. Technically. Mostly goat if it's available, but it's sold in open air butcher shops, and I don't think I really want to take that adventure. :)

Any help would be awesome! email me: jlfeldhaus at gmail dot com

No comments:

Post a Comment